November 10, 2015

Meeting Tim

Being a substitute teacher has been a lot more rewarding than I expected. I started this job because of a combination of my fondness of teaching and the ease with which I could call off a day to attend med school interviews. In retrospect, it was naïve for me to have not expected to meet kids who could affect my life so deeply. One girl told me that I was her favorite and asked me to replace her normal teacher. Then she drew a picture for me :)


I don't know about you, but I think she captured my essence perfectly.

Today's experience was a little different though, and very humbling. I taught Special Needs kids and I just have to say they were the most well-behaved set of children I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. AP/honors and Special Needs classes are my favorite because those children are always actually willing and eager to learn. There was a kid today, I'll call him Tim (because he was so tiny and cute), who really inspired me. He might have been autistic because he was so smart and a very avid student. For the life of me, I can't figure out why he was in a Special Needs class. Tim told me excitedly how history was his favorite subject but then a few moments later added, "I love math and science too!" I asked him what kind of science and he said anything having to do with animals and dinosaurs. He was the only child in the class who made the connection between Constantinople's geography (a peninsula) and their booming economy (due to trade). I was so proud of him and his happiness was very contagious. I sat with him to correct his work because he wanted to make sure it was all right before turning it in and after completing his classwork, he began doing his homework. But the best part about meeting Tim was not the joy of watching him learn, it was the conversation we had when he was done. He told me, "I want to be an inventor and scientist when I grow up!"
"Wow really? What kind of scientist?" I asked.
"Anything having to do with animals! And I'm going to invent so many things! I'm going to change the world!" I noticed he was wearing a UCLA sweater and I asked him if he plans on going to college. "Of course!" He answered enthusiastically. Honestly, I can't put into words how inspiring this boy's dedication to education and motivation to learn were. He made me want to change the world too haha.
"So are you planning on going to UCLA?" I asked. He looked confused for a second so I gestured towards his sweater, prepared to tell him how great the university is because I went there.
"Oh no," he said, "that's just where I go to get my treatment." He revealed a scar between his neck and chest. "I have leukemia... you know, the cancer." His smile began to fade and his eyes became glossy and I immediately regretted bringing up my alma mater. "I remember the exact date I got diagnosed too," Tim said somberly. "April 15th, 2013, exactly one month after my 10th birthday. One month!" I was almost angry. Here's a kid who really has the potential to change the world and he might not even live long enough to do so. After telling me where he went to get treatment, he seemed a little happy again when he said, "At least I get two days off for Veteran's Day! Since I have to miss school on Thursday for treatment." Why was I not surprised that he somehow managed to find the bright side of the situation? I tried to maintain a smile too as I told him that I'll be volunteering at the same hospital on Thursday so hopefully I will be able to run into him. I really hope I do. Anyway, we continued to talk about his passions and interests and I was actually a little sad when the bell rang because I was really enjoying our conversation. It was heartwarming to hear him say that he did too and that he hoped I would be their sub again sometime soon.
I'm so grateful I got to meet Tim, a kid who, despite his circumstances, keeps pushing towards a goal that others would think is too big. He put my problems and my goals into perspective. I believe in him, in his ambitions despite his cancer. So I believe in myself. If ever I begin to feel life weighing me down, I can look back on this experience and remind myself of my privilege and my destiny. If leukemia can't stop Tim, why should anything stop me?
I'll be praying for Tim. I know he can really be something great if given the opportunity. I hope his treatment goes well and he actually does end up changing the world. He's definitely changed mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment